Wednesday, December 17, 2025

Poem: Getting a Tree


Getting a Tree

Today we shall go to get our tree 
For our Christmas celebrations,
A tradition we’ve had for years
Of going to the woods
And cutting the perfect tree
For our home. It symbolizes
commitment to gathering
To celebrate the Christ crucified
On such a tree and the salvation
He brought to all who believe. 
Now some changes have taken
Place within our tradition
That accommodates hope 
So we go to a tree farm
And there I go singly to choose
The perfect tree while family
Looks on from a distance
Unable, like me, to trudge
Through the snow.
Of course, you can celebrate 
Without a tree or with one
Artificial, but then there 
Would be no sacrifice of 
Time in the trees together
With family and friends
Choosing something that works
For them. And the closer we can get
To the reality of a distant story,
The closer we can get to realizing
Forgiveness is not just a symbol
And peace isn’t just happenstance
But chosen and worked for purposefully
Just like the effort to get this tree.

December 2023

About This Poem
This one needs some work, but it seems appropriate for the time so I'm posting it. I was inspired by just what the poem says, getting a tree. I sometimes miss just going out in the woods and cutting a tree but it's not about me. And that, too, is what this poem is about. The photo is of my pickup after having cut a tree at a tree farm. Enjoy the holidays.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...