Time
The powerful fire of the dragon
Spewing forth from its enraged mouth
Singeing and burning all in its reach
Is how I feel about the relentless
Ticking of the clock measuring that
Which is impossible to stop—
Not a stopwatch that one can pause,
No, but a ticking watch that refuses
To stop. Steamrollers are more forgiving
And here I am, sizzling in the flames
Hair colored as ash unable to stop
The relentless flames of that dragon
Ticking away as it flies over us all
Tock if you will but tick marks
Are not merit but tock of ending
Tick Tock Tick Tock sizzling flames
That serve me less than being
Smashed into the pavement
By that steamroller, kind ever pressing
Instead of insidiously ticking
Tocking in the unbearable flames
Of an angry dragon. Time.
March 2025
About This Poem:
I could say this poem is about aging, but it really isn't. I think everyone at any age can feel the pressure of time passing too quickly. Infants being told not to do something and hesitating, then doing it anyway only to get burned in some way. Kids playing basketball and not sure who to throw the ball to, so they hesitate. Adults watching their children grow too fast. Those moments can consume us, burning us in shame or terror or something else. So, time is like a dragon ready to burn us all. That's what had me think about this poem. The photo is a local sunset that I just thought appropriate in representing time. For whatever reason, I don't have any dragon photos...
No comments:
Post a Comment