Thursday, January 1, 2026

Poem: On This Cold Winter’s Day

On This Cold Winter’s Day

On this cold winter’s day
The snowflakes seem to play
Like so many bugs in the bushes
As suddenly arrested from the rush
Of falling to the ground
They rise and twirl around.
Perhaps they are born aloft
By heat from a house draft,
Perhaps by a door opening
Or something closing?
Whatever it is, they rise
Like gnats but it’s only disguise
For again they downward drift
To the amazement of my swift 
Look o’er the piling heaps
That I will trudge in deep
To shovel them away
From the walk today
So that within this house
We aren’t trapped like a mouse
In the piling wrecks 
Of a zillion white insects
So perfectly formed on wings 
Of crystalline six strings
Like the musical guitar
Now silenced where they are—
Those little white flakes
Making sounds seem mistakes
Or frozen symphonies here
Not quite buzzing in my ear
In the silence of music 
Stilled somehow, yet so rich.

December 2021

About This Poem
I wrote this quite a few years ago when it still snowed in December and stayed around here. I was watching the snow fall outside of my window and I noticed how the flakes would rise in the air as if they were gnats, so I put that image to words as they gradually covered our lawn. The picture is a close up of snowflakes (the six strings) that I took on the railing of our deck. I hope you have a Happy New Year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...