Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Poem: A Jog with Friends


 

A Jog with Friends

Once we ran like the raging winds,

Fast and furious, tearing down

Anything in our way, jumping

Over obstacles to finish

The race we set out to run, win.

Now we run as gently as a

Summer breeze, stopping now and then

To admire roadside splendors

Or simple conversation, a

Breath or two caught between us from

The speed we no longer have or

Want. Earlier in time we may

Have pushed the other aside to

Get to the finish first but now

We know it’s not a race between

Rivals, no, but a jog with friends

Discussing the speed at which our

World seems to want to destroy its

Very self and we will, with feet

Stable, stand to protect it from

Those raging winds that lead to naught

But bruised and anguished muscle aches.

 

March 2025


About This Poem:

I just found this poem, and it seems appropriate for today when I'm laid up with a knee injury and Cross-Country season has begun. I'm not much of a competitive runner anymore, but there was a time. But I do love going on runs with friends and this poem is about that and our conversations that are solving all of the world's problems. The picture is an old snap of some of my cross-country kids during practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: Sipping on Generosity

Sipping on Generosity Sometimes we just sit around and tell tales, Tales of warning from times gone by or tales Of love and pleasure from da...