Monday, August 17, 2026

Poem: Sipping on Generosity


Sipping on Generosity

Sometimes we just sit around and tell tales,
Tales of warning from times gone by or tales
Of love and pleasure from days now long past,
Sipping our coffee or imbibing our
Wine or maybe whiskey while we begin
Our work of saving the world from ourselves
And our less than better angels, demons
Really, that we harbor deep in ourselves.
How does one shake all of that to make this
A world safe for everyone, not just
Our friends gathered here in the tavern or 
Round the kitchen table? We cast out imps
That in us dwell. We build friendships that last
Longer than any mistrust we harbor.
We share food that we ourselves have prepared
In love of all the variety of 
Flavors in the world for every type
Of person, sipping on generosity.

March 2025

About This Poem:
I wrote this poem after having had a gathering of friends for dinner or something--maybe just a drink--and it just seemed like so many problems melt away when you spend time over food and drink with people. So I wrote this poem. The picture is of my family in Connecticut back in the forties gathered for some meal outdoors. I see my grandmother, great grandfather, and an aunt that I recognize, but it was before my time, so I don't really recognize most of them except their familial resemblances. I just thought it seemed appropriate to this poem. That and I just like it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: Sipping on Generosity

Sipping on Generosity Sometimes we just sit around and tell tales, Tales of warning from times gone by or tales Of love and pleasure from da...