Believe This
What does the week hold for me?
I cannot know except for what
I plan. Today I will write, today
I will walk; today I will clean
The stove; today I will type a poem;
Today I will read articles from
Newspapers; today I will read a
Magazine; today I will clean
The bathroom; today I will write:
Today I will eat pizza; today
I will cook salmon to eat; today
I will discover a new show to watch.
Today will be ordinary in a thousand
Ways but somehow it will be
Extraordinary and I can’t know
That until the day progresses
If I even will know how extraordinary
It is ever. But in all of its
Ordinariness today will be
Extraordinary and I will
Believe this.
January 2025
About This Poem
This is a poem that I wrote in the bleak mid-winter, reminding myself that every day is a gift no matter how ordinary or dull it may seem. Sometimes we all need that reminder. The photo is a mural on a wall in Colfax, Washington, a town that is nearby and can also seem ordinary and dull so it's nice to see such a painting reminding us that happiness is our own choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment