The Lonely Runner
The whole street’s abuzz
With bees in the maple trees
As I walk along singing the song
Of the lonely runner.
Spring is sublime in time
When winter’s grapple must topple
And I regain the refrain
Of the lonely runner.
The ground now abounds
In the brown drain of rain
Drying now ‘neath the feet
Of the lonely runner.
Gaining speed through greed
As the bees in the trees
Buzz at the sounds
Of the lonely runner.
April 2025
About This Poem
I wrote this poem following the patterns of my own running by the seasons, hence the four stanzas. It, like running, is somewhat rhythmical and I chose to rhyme internally rather than end rhyme so that it can sound sing songy without looking that way. I wanted to play with poetic sound effects, just like I like to play around while I'm running. Right now, I have a knee injury and can't run so when I ran across this poem it rang true. I was really hoping to do a fall half marathon, but alas... The picture is self-explanatory. St. George was the marathon I ran that qualified me for Boston which I did run the next year in 1988. I found it hard to find a picture of a "lonely" runner since I don't typically take pictures of people running alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment