Mists Now Gone
Just before I wake my dreams are vivid.
I see one of my classes lying late
In bed with snores
While all above them
Little angels arise
To do heavenly chores.
But all the while I know
The little angels are nothing more
Than my own students
At task with their chores
And it is only me
That lies in bed and snores.
Those tasks I had are finished.
I’ll assign them work no more
But leave the work I started here
With someone who me ignores.
So to my class I’ll offer
What knowledge I can
Offer them I’ll present no more
Even if it is only them I’ll always adore.
Alone in bed I waken,
The students are off at school
And all the tasks I would give them
Are dreams in my head
That are as substantial
As the mists in the air
Now gone.
September 2020
About This Poem
This poem is about my sudden retirement when the pandemic hit. It was difficult for me to do, but to be honest, I probably would not have retired without something just forcing me out. I loved teaching more and more every year. This poem shows that and reveals the lack of faith I had in my replacement. It also reveals my dreams that on occasion I still have--stress dreams, feeling like something isn't finished. The poem is also like that, a little rough and unfinished. But that's how it should be, so I present it here to you. The photo is of my classroom as seen from my desk, probably some 8-10 years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment