I Can’t Breathe
Wildfires rage across the west.
A black man attempts to buy a package of
Cigarettes but the cashier suspects
The twenty-dollar bill is counterfeit.
The fires are a bigger problem than
Simple forest management and
We need to work to stop climate change
Say’s an expert to the president
who replies,
I don’t think science knows.
The police are called and they put
Their knee on the man
Who attempted to buy cigarettes.
He says, I can’t breathe.
But they ignore him and he died
And the fires rage on
And the smoke continues
While disease ravages the land
And the counterfeit isn’t a twenty-dollar bill
Or any of us who say,
I can’t breathe.
September 2020
About This Poem
I wrote this shortly after the death of George Floyd. We were also engulfed in smoke from wildfires here, so the sense of suffocating was overwhelming with the news of Floyd's death, the willful ignorance of climate science from the administration and the constant fear from the pandemic. You can see all of that in this poem. I also think we are already repeating some of the state brutality against citizens and I am amazed we let it happen again, just as I am heartened by the public response. The photo is on Kootenay Lake in British Columbia this past September when we were, again, suffocating in wildfire smoke.
(This is a little more political than usual, but I think times call for it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment