Awakened by a Cold Wind
It came upon me like I was asleep
And woken by a cold wind
So that I pulled up the covers
Snuggling in deeper to the warmth
Of slumber. But something changed
While I slept. things familiar
Were made strange by rust,
By moth eaten holes, by time
That I did not see pass.
And now, as I wake on this morn,
I see the frost on my beard
That yesterday was black.
My babes are now grown men
Moved away to lands I had
Never seen, let alone dreamed
As in my slumber I pulled up
The covers over my head to
Keep warm from the cold breeze
That disturbed my slumber
And made me forget that I
Too would grow old
And all that glitter I owned
Would rust to nothing,
Along with my clothing that became
Feed for the pesky moth
Attracted to the flame
By which I tell you.
For you too, this will be the same.
The ancestors spoke of it
And it was so, yet I
Listened not until this morning
As if they were speaking still.
January 2024
About This Poem
This poem was inspired by the cold of January and my love for old cemeteries. So many of the early New England cemeteries have little epitaphs about paying attention to time because soon you will be where they are. It's too true and yet we ignore it. That's the slumber of life that I symbolize with the bed covers. You can read it as depressing, a warning, or a subtle reminder to enjoy what you have while you can. That is how I intend this poem for anyone reading it. I am, of course, aware that the epitaphs were written not by the dead, but the living, as is this poem. The photo is one of those old tombstones from Hull Village, an island in Massachusetts Bay near Boston.
No comments:
Post a Comment