Friday, May 8, 2026

Poem: The Tide Carries Me


The Tide Carries Me

Rising ever with the moon,
The tide carries me adrift
Upon this sea of humanity—
Another drop in the endless wonderment—
Atop the waves that soon
Will crash against the shore.
And wonder I must at why
I am here now. And so must you
Though we both know no good it will do
For answer we shall never have
‘Cept that which we give
Gracefully to ourselves
And this moody sea of humanity.
Are we, living beings alone
In this vast universe
Bubbling against the planetary pulls?
Or are we guided by that
To whom we endlessly call?
And grace must be
Beneath our waves.

January 2025

About This Poem
This poem is about faith and the admission that we have it but really don't know just what it is. I am appalled by the things we do because of our "faith" that flies against the tenants of almost every faith. That's when I think we might hold greater faith in leaders that we should not have faith in. That is the nature of it, being adrift on the tide. The poem says more than I can do to explain it, so I'll leave it there. The photo is of Plymouth Bay in Devon, the harbor where so many ships set sail to colonize the New World including the Mayflower. I took it this last month while I was revisiting Devon which I consider my second home.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...