Friday, June 26, 2026

Poem: Coarse Here I Will Continue


Coarse Here I Will Continue

The size of the swell matters.
The sand on the seashore is
Ever present from the crashing 
Of the waves, its color marked
By the cliffs or banks against
Which the swell has beaten.
But an alpine lake in a
Granite outcropping? Even
With the granite’s pliability
If there is any sand it is
Coarse and not much of it
To be found and when it is
It’s like something grating
Into your skin that must 
Be dealt with before you are
Torn. While I love the crashing
Waves of the sea, their girthy
Pounding upon delicate shores,
I think of myself more in the 
Mountains with little ripples
Refusing to refine me.
Allowing my coarseness to stay
While miles away those big
Waves crash away refining
Those cliffs, coarse here I will continue.

January 2025

About This Poem
I love big bodies of water, and, it seems, in the American political and cultural landscape it is more refined to live on the coasts (coastal elitism). I don't actually believe any of that. You can find elitism anywhere in the U.S. as well as less than elite, or coarse. I don't really see myself as either elite or coarse, but I promote the idea of belonging. I feel like I belong on an alpine lake with very little beach, and what beach it has will be of very coarse sand. But obviously the poem also refers to another kind of coarseness, and I can embrace that sometimes as well. The photo is of Lake Louise in Banff, Alberta. It's definitely an alpine lake and one that I very much enjoy (though the smaller ones in Idaho where there are not crowds are even better). 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...