Monday, June 29, 2026

Poem: More Perfect


More Perfect

English teachers often say
That there is no such thing as
More perfect. But as Americans
From the get go said, “We the
People, in order to form a 
More Perfect Union…” It is
Undeniably clear that we
Were lying to ourselves.
We never even believed in
Perfection because we always
Thought we could make it
Better. We can strive for
Perfection all we want but, 
Because we don’t believe in it,
It can never be attained for us.
We will be forever inventing
And reinventing things for
Our never ending perpetuation of 
Perfection, a thing we don’t
Believe in, a thing that can
Never exist.

January 2025

About This Poem
This poem is a little more pessimistic than I usually am, but it was inspired by the political times. Right now we Americans are at each other's throats thanks to our President and his MAGA movement, which clearly divides us. I decided now was a good time to publish it as we are celebrating our 250th year as a nation. It deals with the opening words of our constitution. The photo is a flag at the Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston just a few months ago.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...