Monday, July 6, 2026

Poem: We Were Given the Stars


We Were Given the Stars

The stars on the flag unite in a
Blue sky that would render
Them meaningless if they fell
Apart. Living together like stars
Means space and orbiting
One another in mutual respect,
Not floundering meaninglessly
Adrift to collide exploding
Into nothing but cosmic dust.
United we stand, divided we fall
And I want nothing to do 
With the failure of falling
Nor the game of blaming,
Relinquishing any responsibility
To predecessors who could
Not be infallibly prescient.
We were given the stars
So let’s wish and dream
Upon those stars in the blue sky
Together.

January 2025

About This Poem
I think the bickering of politics is what inspired this poem. I get tired of it, even when I have my bouts of contributing to it. This poem expresses my belief in the promise of America and I think it is completely appropriate to publish this week now that we have been an independent nation for 250 years. Happy Birthday America! 

I took the photo in my backyard on a clear night. I'm amazed that you can actually point a phone at the dark sky and make out constellations. If you look, you'll see the Big Dipper (Ursa Major).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 250th Love about being American

250 In my previous blog (that got removed with the expiration of my work email) I started enumerating things I love about my country and bei...