Monday, January 12, 2026

Poem: A New Day

A New Day

Upon a new day and a new month
I think things should start anew,
But I am hindered by my same old self
And it seems that nothing is new.
I don’t know why I am weighted,
I don’t know why I feel blue
That I’m the same old person
And that nothing seems new.
I should be thankful for my friends
And yes, I am, it’s true.
I should be thankful for my health
And yes, I work to keep it, true.
But sometimes my mind is hindered 
That things don’t seem so true
To all the things they’ve promised
And it can make me feel blue,
Not because they have failed me
But I’ve failed them, it’s true.
So, this new day and month
I will vow to make my faith true
And not neglect my fellow man
Nor myself in promises to you
For only in that faith right here
Can this day prove to me new.

August 2024

About This Poem
I wrote this poem a summer ago when I was discouraged by the fact that I was not meeting some of my goals. It's exactly why I don't make New Year's resolutions: I am still me. But I do believe in incremental change and this poem speaks to that. I found that incremental, small changes work better in achieving goals than broad sweeping platitudes that do nothing but set you up to fail. This poem also speaks to my commitment to others above myself which I believe is the true source of purpose and joy. The photo is a picture of the sunrise in my back yard.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: Autumn Commotion

Autumn Commotion From sunshine we are bereft of the warmth As through the eaves you hear the commotion Endlessly moaning, the sounds of the ...