Monday, March 16, 2026

Poem: A Chick from the Nest Fell


A Chick from the Nest Fell

A chick from the nest fell to the ground
too early to fly and by the time I found
It, too weak to even lift its head to be fed.
I saw it on the cement as it wiggled, not dead
But writhing and trying to get away, turning 
Its body, then working desperately, earning,
In its desperation, a final turn of its head
And I couldn’t bring myself to kill it
So I walked away doing work in the garden—bits
Of mowing, unloading manure into the earth
And later, when I came back it showed worth
In its continuing struggle, there in the shade
To avoid me or whatever it felt could have made
It feel more pain than it already suffered
And part of me thought I should end what suffered
Yet I knew if it could live just a bit more
It was better than if it had not anymore.
What are we, forms of life, when animation stops?
Insensible then of what even the rain drops
Offer the parched land or the teeming floods
That in some way even cause life in our blood.
Was it cruel that I left that little bird 
To later be eaten by some cat or preying bird?
Or was it better to let it live and still see
Something? Who can know? Certainly not me.

May 2024

About This Poem
This one is recent enough for me to remember what inspired me and it was just what I wrote of in the poem. The question of mercy killing has always bothered me and this attempts to explain that. The photo is just the sun filtering through the branches of the tree where the nest was.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: Autumn Commotion

Autumn Commotion From sunshine we are bereft of the warmth As through the eaves you hear the commotion Endlessly moaning, the sounds of the ...